You can’t have it all, and that’s ok.
If there are two things Instagram (or frankly, any other platform) taught me it that’s one - there are a freakin ton of talented people out there, and two - I have to stop comparing myself to other moms who look like they have the most gorgeous life.
In my ideal world I would:
- Make an awesome dinner with my husband every night
- Have a weekly date night with my husband
- Make my bed every morning
- Not work after the kids go to bed or on the weekend.
- Stick to a regular beauty routine.
- Get so so sooo much more sleep. All the sleep.
- Have many hours in the day to get all the ideas in my head out onto paper.
The reality is that I can’t do all this. At least not working full time, raising two very young kids, and running a growing business. In reality, it’s more like this:
- My husband makes dinner, usually while watching two kids. Spaghetti is on the menu weekly.
- Sadly, we don’t get out much, though we spend many evenings “vegging” out together and talking about our day. We snuggle on the couch, he plays with my hair, and I’m the most relaxed I have been all day.
- So not made. Pretty much ever.
- Depending on how busy I am, I can sometimes have a free weekend. Changing the structure of my business last year made a huge difference with this and that was my biggest accomplishment of 2016.
- I find those cleansing face wipes are great for when you are too damn tired by 10:30 p.m. to really care. Bonus points for putting on my face cream.
- Did I mention I have a 6 month old?
- I at least write these ideas down so I can come back to them.
So while am I telling you all this? Because my point is that I have to pick and choose my battles. I can let go of having a made bed every day, because why create more stress over it? The bigger goals - more time with family, more time to create - are really what drives me. Those are what I work at each day, even if it’s just a tiny bit.
I'm willing to bet some of those moms on Instagram don't make their beds every morning and eat a lot of pasta too.